First, let’s start by defining what commercial surface cleaners actually are: surface cleaners are cleaning products specifically formulated to clean and remove dirt, grime, stains, and other types of soiling from various surfaces. These cleaners are designed to be used on a wide range of surfaces, such as countertops, floors, walls, glass, metal, plastics, and so forth. They can come in a variety of forms such as liquids, sprays, gels, and powders, and are used with a variety of application methods like moping, wiping, or spray and wipe. Moreover, they are widely used in commercial, industrial, and domestic settings to clean and maintain surfaces in a variety of settings such as homes, offices, restaurants, hospitals, schools, and more.
Now that we’ve made clear what a surface cleaner exactly is and talked a bit about the general purpose it serves, let’s delve deeper into the different types of surface cleaners available on the market.
General Purpose Commercial Surface Cleaners
All-Purpose Surface Cleaners, the Jack of all Trades in the cleaning world, are the go-to cleaning solution for any surface, anywhere. These dynamic cleaners pack a punch with their ability to tackle a diverse range of dirt, grime and stains from countertops, floors, walls, and beyond in commercial settings. Whether you’re cleaning up spills in the kitchen, wiping down tables in your restaurant, or maintaining the gleam of your establishment’s halls, these versatile cleaners have you covered. No wonder they’re a staple in restaurants, kitchens, offices, schools and many other facilities, always ready for everyday cleaning and maintenance tasks.
General purpose commercial surface cleaners are engineered to be mild and gentle, making them safe for use on a variety of surfaces without causing damage. They can be used with a variety of application methods such as mopping, wiping, or spray and wipe. And they come in a variety of forms such as liquids, sprays, and gels.
General purpose commercial surface cleaners are widely used in commercial settings to clean and maintain a variety of surfaces and a host of other cleaning tasks, including:
- General cleaning: Since all general commercial surface cleaners are built to remove dirt, grime, and stains, all-purpose cleaners can be used to clean and maintain surfaces such as countertops, floors, walls, and other surfaces around commercial buildings, leaving surfaces looking clean and presentable.
- Washrooms and restrooms: All-purpose cleaners can be used to clean and maintain the surfaces in areas, such as toilets, sinks, and other fixtures. They can be used to remove soap scum, mildew, and other types of dirt and grime.
- Kitchen areas: All-purpose cleaners can be used in commercial kitchens to clean countertops, appliances, and other surfaces that may have been soiled by food. Plus, they can be used to remove grease and food stains from kitchen surfaces.
- Floors: Don’t have a floor cleaner at hand? Don’t worry! All-purpose cleaners can be used for general cleaning and maintenance of different types of floors in commercial settings, such as tile, linoleum, and hardwood floors.
- Glass and mirrors: All-purpose cleaners can also be used to clean glass and mirrors surfaces in commercial settings, such as windows, mirrors, and glass walls.
Glass cleaners are cleaning products that are purpose-built to clean glass surfaces. They are designed to remove streaks, smudges, films, and fingerprints and other types of muck and marks that can accumulate on glass surfaces, such as windows, mirrors, and glass tables.
Glass cleaners typically come in liquid form, and can be applied to the glass surface directly or using a or a cloth. They are then wiped with a clean, dry cloth or squeegee to remove the dirt and grime. They can be formulated to be used on both interior and exterior glass surfaces, also some glass cleaners may have special formulations to clean glasses with hard water stains, calcium or mineral buildups.
Glass cleaners are widely used in both residential and commercial settings. They are commonly used in households to clean windows and mirrors, and in commercial settings to clean the glass surfaces in office buildings, shopping centres, and other facilities, and a variety of other areas, which include but are not limited to:
- Office buildings: Glass cleaners are an indispensable item to every office cleaning essentials as they are effective at removing streaks, stains, residues and many other types of grime that can accumulate on windows and glass walls in commercial office buildings.
- Shopping centres: Glass cleaners have become a day-to-day essential product in malls and shopping centres due to an increase in the use of glass as a material for mirrors, doors, windows, shelves, and more.
- Hospitals and healthcare facilities: Glass cleaners can be used to clean the glass surfaces in patient rooms, waiting areas, and other public spaces in healthcare facilities.
- Hotels and restaurants: Since glass cleaners contain surfactants for rapid drying and other agents to help remove dirt, oil, grease, and fingerprints and leave a sweet odour after cleaning, they are in widely used rooms and public areas of hotels, motels and restaurants.
- Public Transportations: Glass cleaners can be used to clean the glass surfaces in buses, trains and metros, ensuring safety and clear visibility, without the chance of becoming dirty within a short span of time.
In commercial settings, glass cleaners are typically used in conjunction with other cleaning tools such as cloths, squeegees, or microfiber cloths to make cleaning tasks more efficient.
Bathroom Commercial Surface Cleaners
The best commercial surface cleaners for bathrooms can make the unpleasant chore of deep cleaning a bathroom more manageable and efficient, leaving you with a sparkling clean space. Typically, humid and high-traffic environments can be a breeding ground for germs, bacteria, and viruses, which is why it’s important to find effective bathroom cleaners that can properly clean, sanitise, and/or disinfect every crack and crevice in your bathroom.
They are manufactured to be effective at removing tough stains and eliminating odours while also being safe for use in bathroom environments. Some bathroom cleaners can also come with a disinfectant, which will help to kill germs and bacteria on surfaces, providing an added level of cleanliness.
Commercial surface cleaners for bathrooms are widely used in both residential and commercial settings, such as homes, offices, schools, hospitals, and other facilities. They can be used for general cleaning and maintenance tasks, and for deep cleaning tasks when necessary.
The Restroom Association (Singapore) introduced the Happy Toilet Program (HTP), a star-grading initiative that evaluates public toilets based on five key aspects: Design, Cleanliness, Maintenance, Effectiveness, and Satisfaction, to provide users with the ultimate restroom experience that meets all their needs So you can elevate your business to new heights with sparkling clean commercial bathrooms and toilets by implementing a simple habit of regularly using a bathroom surface cleaner that guarantees you’ll receive those coveted 6-star customer reviews.
Bathroom surface cleaners are widely used in commercial settings, such as offices, schools, hospitals, hotels, restaurants, and other facilities, to clean and maintain the surfaces in bathrooms.
- Showers and bathtubs: Bathroom surface cleaners can be used to clean and remove soap scum, mildew, and other types of stains from shower walls, bathtubs, and other surfaces in bathrooms.
- Tile and grout: Most people agree that it is extremely difficult to remove stains from grout lines, which are typically narrower and more porous than the tiles themselves. But since bathroom surface cleaners are effective at uprooting the source of tile and grout grimes they’re also highly capable at removing contamination and discolouration.
- Housekeeping: Bathroom surface cleaners can be used by housekeeping staff to perform regular cleaning and maintenance tasks in guest rooms and public restrooms. They can be used to clean and sanitise surfaces, and to remove buildup of filth, grime, and marks, leaving surfaces looking clean and presentable. They can also be used to remove odours and keep the area smelling fresh.
Floor Surface Cleaners
With a floor surface cleaner you can fundamentally bid farewell to dirty dingy floors and say hello to spick and span surfaces. These cleaners are used to eliminate any harmful bacteria or allergens and maintain the shine and finish of your floor. They also help to remove particles such as grit that may damage the surface. They can be used on various types of flooring such as tile, vinyl, linoleum, hardwood, concrete, and more.
There are several types of floor surface cleaners available, each designed for specific types of flooring or cleaning tasks. Some common types include:
- All-Purpose Floor Cleaners: These cleaners can be used on a variety of flooring surfaces, including tile, vinyl, linoleum, and hardwood. These types of floor cleaners are tailored to get rid of all types of spots and sludges while leaving a shine on the surface.
- Wood Floor Cleaners: These wood floor cleaners can be used on different types of wooden floors including parquet, bamboo and laminate. They eliminate any wax build-up and restore the surface’s natural shine.
- Stone Floor Cleaners: These cleaners are designed to clean and maintain the appearance of natural stone flooring, such as marble, granite, or limestone. They can remove dirt, stains, and acid etch marks.
- Strippers: These cleaners are effective at removing old wax and other floor finishes, in order to prepare the surface for a new coat of finish or sealer.
- Neutral Cleaners: These cleaners have a pH of 7, and are designed to be used on floors that are sensitive to pH changes, such as terrazzo, marble or concrete. They remove dirt and grime while not altering the surface of the flooring material.
- Disinfectants: These cleaners are a must-have item as they are potent at killing germs, bacteria and viruses. They are commonly used in healthcare facilities, food processing plants, schools and other public places.
Kitchen Surface Cleaners
No matter how hard you try you can never keep a kitchen clean for too long, but you can keep them clean for just long enough if you use commercial surface cleaners that are specifically designed to clean the various surfaces found in a kitchen, such as countertops, stovetops, sinks, and cabinets. These types of cleaners can be used on multiple surfaces, or they may be formulated specifically for a certain type of surface (e.g. stainless steel cleaner, granite cleaner). They are also typically made with ingredients that can effectively remove food residue, grease, grime, and other stains from the surfaces, helping to keep the kitchen looking clean and hygienic. Some common types of kitchen cleaners include all-purpose cleaners, degreasers, stainless steel cleaners, and oven cleaners.
There are many different types of kitchen surface cleaners available on the market, each with their own unique properties and uses. Here are a few examples:
- All-purpose cleaners: These cleaners usually contain a combination of ingredients than can clean and disinfect surfaces. Therefore, they can be used on multiple surfaces, including countertops, stovetops, and sinks.
- Granite cleaners: These cleaners are specially formulated to clean and protect granite and other natural stone surfaces, such as marble, and quartz.
- Stainless steel cleaners: Whether it be smudges and stains or oil and grease, you can rely on these types of cleaner to leave your appliances such as ovens and sinks steel surfaces looking good as new.
- Degreasers: You know when you touch the surfaces of stovetops, hoods, and exhaust fans and your fingers get covered with grease? You can avoid that by using cleaners that are specifically formulated to remove grease and oil from such surfaces.
- Oven cleaners: These cleaners are specially formulated to remove the built-up food, spills and stains that can accumulate inside the oven.
- Scouring powder: A traditional type of kitchen cleaner, scouring powder is a dry abrasive cleaning solution that can be used to remove stubborn stains and grime from surfaces such as kitchen sinks, countertops and cookware.
Heavy Duty Degreasers
We all know that industrial equipment need a little extra something and heavy-duty degreasers are just that. These cleaners provide industrial strength cleaning solutions that are specifically designed to remove heavy grease and oil from surfaces and equipment. They are typically used in industrial and commercial settings, such as factories, warehouses, and automotive repair shops.
Some features of heavy-duty degreasers include:
- Strong cleaning power: These products contain stronger cleaning agents than regular degreasers, which allows them to effectively remove heavy grease and oil buildup.
- High Concentration: These products usually come in a concentrated form and need to be diluted before use.
- Multipurpose: They can be used on a variety of surfaces, including metal, plastic, and painted surfaces, and can be used for cleaning engines, machinery, and heavy equipment.
- High Foaming: These products often have high foaming agents that help to lift and emulsify the grease and oil, making it easier to clean.
- Corrosion inhibitors: Heavy-duty degreasers often contain corrosion inhibitors which protects the surface from rust and damage.
- pH balanced: these degreasers tend to be pH balanced, making them less harsh on the surface and the environment.
In conclusion, there are many different types of surface cleaners available on the market, each with their own unique properties and uses. It’s important to choose the right type of cleaner for the specific surface or material you are cleaning. Without proper knowledge of the products available, you may choose a cleaner that is not suitable for the surface you are cleaning or not be able to choose the appropriate one for the specific task at hand. This can result in ineffectiveness, damage to the surface, or even further staining of the area. Which is why we have created this article listing all types of surface cleaners you can imagine, so that you make the right choice for your needs.
ORAPI is a renowned provider of hygiene solutions with over 50 years of experience. Our products are trusted by over 300 companies in Singapore and offer a full range of consumables for commercial cleaning, hygiene, and disinfection. Choose ORAPI for a hygienic business and a top-performing, credible solution.